Associate in Native European Oyster Production - UK
Thursday, December 3, 2020
Orkney Shellfish Hatchery is looking for an associate to enhance the reliability of native oyster (Ostrea edulis) spat production. The candidate will enable Orkney Shellfish Hatchery to optimize their commercial understanding of the fundamental processes of native oyster behavior and cultivation, adapting and optimizing processes to develop best commercial practice in a modern, bio-secure hatchery environment.
- Optimize early larvae nutrition and settlement, improving efficiency and extending production.
- Optimize on-growing gear through a process of deployment to significantly improve post-hatchery survival.
- Optimize settlement to maximize oyster production for different markets, including novel products.
- Develop disease screening tools and research wild populations to enable sustainable, safe sourcing of broodstock for hatchery operations.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to access and collect wild oyster broodstock.
- Develop a bio-economic model accounting for trade-offs between innovations and economic benefits.
- Shellfish animal husbandry skills.
- Strong academic record. Demonstrable research publications/PhD in the field of marine biology, ecology, aquaculture or shellfisheries.
- Willingness to embrace working in Orkney.
- Willingness to spend time working away from home and undertake near-shore research on boats.
- Experience planning and implementing several different experimental trails simultaneously.
- Reasonable fitness: there will be a need to move equipment to field locations and work hours dictated by tides that are physically demanding.
- Experience in contemporary data handling using databases, spreadsheets, GIS and statistical packages.
- A full UK driving license or equivalent qualification that would enable driving on UK roads and therefore access to field and laboratory locations.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Track-record of timely publication.
- Experience working with industry.
Apply by December 7, 2020. More information and application here.
Check out the latest industry job openings in our Job Board.
We are social. Connect with us on:
Sign Up For Our Publications
Select a newsletter/magazine and submit your e-mail to subscribe.