Shellfish Hatchery position openings - USA
Wednesday, November 18, 2020
Ferry Cove Shellfish is seeking staff to work at the hatchery, currently under construction in Talbot County on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, USA.
SHELLFISH HATCHERY TECHNICIAN
- Phytoplankton culture.
- Broodstock conditioning and spawning.
- Larval culture.
- Nursery production.
- Equipment cleaning and maintenance.
- Environmental monitoring and record-keeping.
- A degree in marine biology or aquaculture is preferred but consideration will also be given to applicants with relevant shellfish industry experience.
- Experience in a commercial-scale shellfish hatchery and familiar with shellfish aquaculture equipment and culture systems.
- Good communication skills and problem-solving abilities.
- Organized, self-motivated and able to work well both independently and as part of a team.
This is a physically demanding position that includes repetitive lifting and long periods of standing on concrete.
SHELLFISH HATCHERY PHYCOLOGIST
The candidate will oversee all aspects of algal rearing, including general quality control, cleaning tubes and tanks, mixing of chemicals and vitamins, transfers of sterile algae and the upkeep of the algal bioreactors, etc.
The candidate will be responsible for hands-on work with batch and continuous algae production cultures to meet the ever-expanding needs of a modern shellfish hatchery. The position is fundamental to all aspects of algal rearing including sterile inoculation, transfers and scale-up, general quality control and sanitation, maintaining the controlled environment of the algal stock room, mixing of nutrients and maintaining their inventories, and the upkeep of the algal bio-reactor system.
- Five years’ shellfish algal hatchery experience preferred.
- College degree. A science background is required.
- Experience using sterile techniques.
- Well organized and detail-oriented.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, interpersonal and communications skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
SHELLFISH HATCHERY MANAGER
- Develop, manage and be responsible for all hatchery operations from broodstock management to spawning to nursery production.
- Plan, coordinate and oversee the day-to-day hatchery and nursery activities to achieve monthly/annual production goals.
- Develop, innovate and refine production techniques and assist with the construction and maintenance of production systems.
- Coordinate phytoplankton production with the phycologist.
- Supervise hatchery personnel and ensure all hatchery staff adheres to established protocols.
- Set and maintain high standards of hygiene, biosecurity and safety.
- Develop and manage the hatchery’s annual budget.
- Adhere to all federal, state and local permitting and workplace regulations.
- Maintain accurate and well-organized records of production, inventory and hatchery activities.
- Explore new technologies and processes to expand and improve upon product service offerings.
The qualified candidate will have experience in commercial-scale shellfish hatchery operations including phytoplankton culture, broodstock management, larval rearing and nursery production. The candidate will also have a demonstrated competence with a variety of culture systems and confidence in the operation and maintenance of hatchery equipment. The hatchery manager will be able to effectively train and manage hatchery personnel and maintain a cooperative team environment. The hatchery manager must have a positive attitude and work well under pressure. The successful candidate must be self-motivated, resourceful, detail-oriented and possess excellent problem-solving skills.
For more information, visit www.ferrycove.org.
Email résumés with cover letter and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Hatchery Technician”, “Hatchery Phycologist” and “Hatchery Manager” respectively in the subject line.
Check out the latest industry job openings in our Job Board.
We are social. Connect with us on:
Sign Up For Our Publications
Select a newsletter/magazine and submit your e-mail to subscribe.