Hatchery Manager - Uganda
Wednesday, October 14, 2020
Yalelo Uganda is seeking a hatchery manager to lead the company’s tilapia hatchery including production, genetics, water quality management and juvenile fish health. The production site is on the shores of Lake Victoria, approximately 15 kilometers from Jinja. The hatchery is currently producing two million fry per month and expects to double the production in the coming months. This role offers a unique opportunity to join a team preparing to deliver on ambitious growth targets and the chance to implement best practices and operating standards.
- Manage hatchery employees including hiring, training, scheduling, motivating and evaluating.
- Implement FirstWave Group level hatchery operating practices and tailor them as necessary for local conditions.
- Breed, grow-out and transfer more than one million fingerlings at six grams per week.
- Develop and manage the selective breeding program.
- Develop and manage health, safety and environmental protocols within the hatchery department.
- BSc/BA in related sciences field.
- More than 5 years of work experience in the aquaculture sector.
- Strong written and spoken English language.
- International license.
Preferable technical skills:
- Manage outdoor large-scale tilapia hatchery pond systems with the use of hapas.
- Manage role with a hatchery producing more than 500,000 fingerlings of six grams per week.
- Experience in establishing and managing selective breeding programs.
- Experience with fish counting, grading and transfer equipment and processes.
Preferable management skills:
- Ability to establish and use KPIs and OKRs to measure and drive performance.
- Comfortable using Excel to perform data analysis.
- Comfortable using digital management information systems.
- Able to work collaboratively with other department managers to achieve shared goals.
- Can operate transparently and improve with feedback.
- Can continuously adapt and improve operations ahead of changing conditions, technologies and company growth.
Additional preferable skills:
- Boat master certificate.
- Able to swim.
- Open water SCUBA license.
- Must be able to regularly work weekends and potentially non-standard hours.
For more information and application, contact Marc Verkuijl, email@example.com. Apply by November 20, 2020.
Check out the latest industry job openings in our Job Board.
We are social. Connect with us on:
Sign Up For Our Publications
Select a newsletter/magazine and submit your e-mail to subscribe.